Q: CAN I TAKE A TRIP ON MY OWN WITHOUT A GROUP?
A: Yes, we have individuals and groups of various sizes come to visit us. We want to be open to whatever the Lord is leading you as an individual or a group to do. We work with you and let you know what projects we are currently working on and what our needs our so we can best work together!
- We do have a short term mission trip application that you need to have filled out and approved by GOGCP before coming to Kenya.
- We do have internships available throughout the year.
- If you are interested please contact: email@example.com
Q: CAN GOGCP COME SPEAK AT OUR CHURCH?
A: Yes, based on availability. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any requests.
Q: WHAT IS THE POLITICAL SITUATION IN KENYA?
A: In the past Kenya was been unstable politically. The US Department of State does list Kenya as a dangerous country to travel to. We live in the country where we are safe and away from the unrest in Mombasa or other large cities.
Current political information about Kenya is published by the U.S. Department of State in their consular information sheets.
See http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/kenya.html for more information.
Q: CAN I SPONSOR A SPECIFIC CHILD?
A: Yes, explore sponsorship at http://www.graceofgodchildren.org/child-sponsorship/
Q: WHAT LANGUAGE DO THEY SPEAK IN KENYA?
A: Swahili. Here’s an example:
Mathayo 18:05 “Na ye yote anayemkaribisha mtoto mdogo kama huyu kwa jina langu, ananikaribisha mimi.”
Translation: Matthew 18:5 “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.”
Q: DO I NEED IMMUNIZATIONS TO TRAVEL TO KENYA?
Here is a list of shots recommended by the Center for Disease Control. Keep in mind that none of these vaccines are required. These vaccines should be discussed with your physician, and are the medical/financial responsibility of each team member. Be sure to check with your health insurance provider, as some will cover these costs.
|Vaccination or Disease||Recommendations or Requirements for Vaccine-PreventableDiseases|
|Routine||Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots such as, measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus vaccine, etc.|
|Yellow Fever||CDC yellow fever vaccination recommendation for travelers to Kenya: For all travelers ≥9 months of age. The cities of Nairobi and Mombasa have lower risk of transmission than rural areas. Kenya requires travelers arriving from countries where yellow fever is present to present proof of yellow fever vaccination. Vaccination should be given 10 days before travel and at 10-year intervals if there is ongoing risk. Find an authorized U.S. yellow fever vaccination clinic.|
|Hepatitis A||Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection where exposure might occur through food or water. Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with “standard” tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.|
|Hepatitis B||Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission, especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment (e.g., for an accident).|
|Typhoid||Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working inAfrica, especially if visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas|
Specific Kenya info can be found here: http://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/countries/kenya/
Q: HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
A: First, we would like you to pray for wisdom, guidance and protection for the Grace of God Children’s Project.
Second, you can donate through various ways:
- Sponsoring a child at the Grace of God Children’s Project.
- Donating to the general fund of the Grace of God Children’s Project.
- Create your own fundraiser such as a walkathon, car wash, etc
- Present Grace of God Children’s Project.to your church, school or other group to get them involved.
- Ask your workplace if they do matching funds to double your gift
- Donating tools and other materials we need. Email us at email@example.com
Q: What do I pack when I am coming to Grace of God Children’s Centre?
A: One copy of passport in each piece of luggage (laminated is an option in case it gets wet)
– Carry the following with your passport
o Copy of immunization
o Insurance (health) info
o Copy of Flight Itinerary
o Copy of VISA invoice
o Driver’s license (optional)
o Debit Card (optional)
– US Currency 100 dollar bills that are the year 2006 or more recent because you get a better exchange rate when changing your money over. Do not bring Travelers check as it does not work here.
– Put eye catching duct tape or ribbon on your luggage so you can find it easily when at baggage claim
– Luggage labels with name and address
– Any medicine that you would take at home
– Rain boots/warm boots
– Sweaters, hoodies, jackets (it gets cold here in the morning and evening)
– GIRLS: You can wear pant and skirts/dresses (past your knee)
– GIRLS: NO shorts unless you are going for a run
o NO strappy tank tops
o Kenya is a modest country, especially outside the cities. Please be sure to bring modest clothes that do not show cleavage or a lot of leg.
– GIRLS: Female hygiene products
– Things to layer: short and long sleeve shirts, long johns/leggings and pants
– Lots of socks
– Shoes to wear with socks (tennis shoes, closed toe shoes)
– Crocs/comfortable shoes
– Flip flops for the shower
– Warm pajamas
– Personal comfort items: hammock, journal, phone with games, pillow, etc.
– Personal snacks and sweets (your favorite)
– Small Bible and Journal
– Water bottle (make sure it doesn’t have leaks)
– Body Soap
– Nail file/clippers
– Bug spray
– Toothpaste (large and travel size)
– Camera, Charger, Memory chip
– Phone, Charger
– Body/face wipes
– Body spray
– Rain coat
– Hand sanitizer
– Pocket knife/Gerber (make sure you put this in your check in luggage)
– Reusable Grocery bag/laundry bag
– Work clothes/paint clothes
Q: IS MY DONATION TAX-DEDUCTIBLE?
A: Yes, we are an IRS recognized 501©3 organization.
Q: IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONTACT SOMEONE DIRECTLY?
A: Yes. If the website has not quenched your curiosity and you have a question you would like for us to address, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach our office by phone at 011-254-706576866.
Checks and donations should be sent to:
Grace of God Children’s Project
669 Schooner Road
Charleston, SC 29412